Monday, June 8, 2009

On Brownie Mixes

Lately, I have been of the idea that homemade is better. I used to keep boxed cake mixes on hand. Then I started making cakes from scratch, and the boxed mixes went to waste. I still keep Jiffy corn mix muffins on hand as well as some lemon poppy seed muffin mixes from time to time. But I thought that I shouldn't bother keeping brownie mixes on hand anymore. After all, how hard is it to make brownies from scratch? The problem: I never made them from scratch. I never thought about it.

Recently I had to bring some brownies to a church activity. I didn't feel like putting forth the effort for ones made from scratch, so I bought a box of brownie mix. They were so good...and so easy. Yeah, reading a recipe and making them from scratch wouldn't be that hard, but this was brainless. And predictable. And good. I have decided that keeping some brownie mix on hand is a good idea. They are a perfect dessert to bring to a pot luck meal. They take very little effort and planning. And everybody loves brownies. They are always one of the first things to go.

Maybe sometime I'll get around to trying one of the twenty-five plus brownie recipes I have collected. [Actually, I did try a "lighter" marbled cheesecake brownie recipe about a week ago. That recipe ended up in the trash!] Who knows? Maybe I will find that perfect brownie recipe that is easy and foolproof and delicious. Until then, I'll have a box of brownie mix ready for my next dessert emergency.

No comments: