Friday, April 8, 2011

Italian-Style Crepes

I was in the mood for some comfort food this week and turned back to this recipe, which I don't think I have made since the boys were born. The first time I made this dish Brett found it too bland, too blah. He has a point, but it hit the spot for me the other day.

It is very similar to cheese-stuffed shells, although the crepes are much less chewy. That may or may not be a good thing. Brett prefers the traditional texture of pasta. I am sure you could play with the recipe to give it more pizazz, but I wasn't feeling that creative.

The next time I make this I need to remember to make double the crepes. That way (as was the case this week) Brett can use some of the plain crepes to roll with lemon juice and powdered sugar for his favorite breakfast meal, German pancakes.

Italian-Style Crepes
Source: Ladies Home Journal (from at least 10 years ago)

Crepes:
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Whisk all ingredients for crepes in a bowl (or use a blender). Refrigerate 30 minutes. Heat an 8-inch, nonstick skillet over medium heat; add three tablespoons batter. Cook until golden on bottom, 2 minutes; turn and cook, 30 seconds. Slide onto a plate. Repeat (makes 10 to 12 crepes).

White Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt

Melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk in 2 cups milk and bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream and salt.
[I added more flour for a thicker sauce.]

Filling:
1 container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry.

Combine all ingredients for filling.
[I also added an egg, just because.]

Assembly:
prepared crepes
white sauce
filling
1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour 1 cup of white sauce into a 13x9-inch baking dish. Spoon scant 1/4 cup filling into each crepe and roll up. Arrange in dish, cover with remaining white sauce and top with marinara sauce and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, until bubbly. Makes 5 servings.

No comments: