Sunday, July 20, 2008

Big, Clean Kitchens

As with my family blog, I have been inconsistent in the posting of my food blog. I did make a few recipes prior to my Maine vacation that I wanted to share (like the Eggplant Bolognese). Look for that recipe in August. I'm saying this because you shouldn't expect anything from me before then. I was hoping to be able to make some good breakfast food to share with my family. Unfortunately, my parents are remodeling their house and are having to make do with a tiny kitchen. Because there are/will be eleven to sixteen people staying in this house and eating out of this kitchen it is crowded to say the least.

I find that I am most in the mood to bake when my kitchen is uncluttered and the counters are cleaned and cleared off. Sometimes this mood strikes me when I have just finished cleaning up a mess that I made. I look at the clean counters and think, "OK, what can I make now?" Of course, making more food means making more messes.

Because there hasn't been a big clean counter to see in the kitchen we have been settling for cold cereal every morning. We decided to trade off making meals for the rest of the family so we didn't have to eat out every night. Rather than sharing something special with everyone, I just picked the easiest thing I could think of: tacos! And I don't mean tacos where I make my own spices or anything. I'm talking Taco Bell taco kit (including seasoning packet and salsa packet), pre-shredded cheese, pre-shredded lettuce, and sour cream. I did chop up an onion into the ground beef, as well as chopping a tomato for topping.

At least it "feeds a family!"

No comments: