I came across the Monte Cristo sandwich for the first time in a magazine when I was pregant with Ryan. I had never heard of the sandwich before, but evidently it is fairly popular. I think when it is served in restaurants it is fried. I'd like to try it that way sometime, though I am sure it is loaded with calories.
I went through a phase where I was making a Monte Cristo every week. Maybe it was one of those pregnancy cravings, because I haven't made them since. I couldn't tell you why, but for some reason today I was in the mood to try this recipe again. (And no, I'm I'm not pregnant.)
The boys had no desire to try this sandwich out. They stuck with grilled cheese. Todd watched me very carefully to see what my reaction would be when I bit into this strange-looking (to him) sandwich. Although I said that it was good and very moist, I don't think he believed me.
I just made enough for one sandwich. I didn't care about keeping it super light, so I had a greater egg to milk ratio. I only used about 1-2 tablespoons of milk for one egg. I used the cheese and lunchmeat I had on hand, namely ham and cheddar (neither lean nor reduced fat). I also put a little butter on the pan rather than cooking spray. However, I did use whole wheat bread.
The dipping sauce seemed a little strange to me at first. And often I have to get used to the flavor combo when I take the first bite of the sandwich. However, once I know what to expect I end up dipping the sandwich with each subsequent bite.
A Lighter Monte Cristo
Source: Fit Pregnancy magazine
Sandwiches:
2 large eggs
1 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
salt and ground black pepper
4 ounces prepackaged lean turkey, sliced
4 ounces prepackage lean ham, sliced
4 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese, sliced
8 slices whole-wheat bread
Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup red currant jelly [I have never had current jelly. I'll have to try it sometime. Meanwhile, I have used strawberry or grape jelly.]
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon orange juice
Whisk eggs and milk together in a shallow dish. Add salt and pepper to taste; set mixture aside. For each sandwich, place 1 ounce turkey, 1 ounce ham and 1 ounce cheese between two slices of bread. Slip sandwiches into egg mixture, turning to soak both sides.
Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cookie spray over medium heat. Add sandwiches; cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
As sandwiches cook, make dipping sauce: Whisk jelly, mustard and orange juice together in a small skillet over low heat until jelly melts. Transfer to four dipping bowls; serve with sandwiches.
Serves 4.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It sounds like a savory french toast sandwich. I'll have to try it sometime.
I have another recipe for a Hawaiian French toast sandwich that I am looking forward to trying sometime. Same kind of idea as the Monte Cristo. Let me know what you think of the Monte Cristo.
Post a Comment