I had 4 egg whites leftover from the pudding I made (which only used the yolks), so I needed to come up with something that only called for egg whites. A few months ago I bought four mini angel food cake pans (there I go again with the "mini" pans!). I have never made angel food cake before, and knew this was the time to break them in.
I was waiting until there was a "convenient time", and it came more quickly than I had expected yesterday afternoon when the boys were at Oma's. I found myself with nothing to do, and I wasn't up to doing anything "productive". I almost talked myself out of making the angel food cake, thinking that it would take too long or be too difficult...(does this sound familiar?). I had just gone through this dilemma with the pudding, so I jumped up and got started. Guess what? It wasn't nearly as difficult or time-consuming as I had made it out to be. You might think I would learn this lesson, as I have gone through this time and time again. Unfortunately, I think I might be hopeless in this respect.
No matter. The angel food cake turned out well. And Anne, if you're lucky, I might share one with you!
I had a few different recipes to choose from that all looked pretty similar. I went for the one with the most sugar!
Angel Food Cake Deluxe
Source: Betty Crocker's Best of Baking
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups egg whites (about 12)
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix flour and powdered sugar. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl on medium speed until foamy. Beat in granulated sugar on high speed, 2 tablespoons at a time, adding vanilla, almond extract and salt with the last addition of sugar; continue beating until meringue holds stiff peaks. Do not underbeat.
Sprinkle flour-sugar mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over meringue, folding in gently just until mixture disappears. Spread in ungreased tube pan, 10x4 inches. Gently cut through batter with spatula.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cracks feel dry and top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately invert pan onto heat-proof funnel; let hang until cake is completely cool.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
mmm I was lucky! You showed up at my house with one and I shamelessly ate the whole thing in front of you - it was fabulous!
Post a Comment