Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Caramel Corn

I made this for the first time a few years ago and it immediately became one of my "traditional" holiday treats. I usually get in the mood to make it starting in October. I was in the mood to make it this last holiday season, but I didn't get around to making it until January!

I am not a fan of sticky, gooey, and hard to handle popcorn balls, but I love caramel corn. It's sweet and crunchy in a not-going-to-break-your-teeth kind of way. Caution: do not make a whole batch for yourself. Share it with a friend or loved one, because you will eat the entire bowl!

Caramel Corn
Source: Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

7 to 8 cups popped popcorn
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1. Remove all unpopped kernels from popped popcorn. Put popcorn into a 17x12x2-inch baking or roasting pan.
2. In a medium saucepan mix brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture boils. Continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, without stirring, for 5 minutes more.
3. Remove pan from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour mixture over popcorn; stir gently to coat. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes. Stir mixture; bake 5 minutes more. Spread caramel corn on a large piece of buttered foil to cool. Store tightly covered.
Makes 7 to 8 cups (servings).

1 comment:

Madawyh said...

or you can make a whole batch for me and I'll eat it all myself - or gladly share with you. It is one of my absolutely favorite foods and I love it when you make it for me.

We should plan a movie night soon and have some. Or maybe we can go see a movie and sneak some in - I'll borrow one of my sister's huge purses. :)

mmm - now you have me craving it!