About a week ago my neighbor brought over some strawberries she had bought on sale. She had a whole flat of them and knew that she wouldn't be able to eat them all before they died. In fact, they were already starting to go downhill. I cleaned them, cut them, and poured sugar over them. Then I made some angel food cake, and--Ta Dah!--Strawberry Shortcake. Of course, the cake was topped with whipped cream, along with the sugared strawberries. Have I mentioned that I like whipped cream? I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this strawberry shortcake. It is coming up on pick-your-own-strawberries time here, and this is what I have to say: forget about making jam. Bring on the strawberry shortcake!
I used the Everyday Food recipe for the angel food cake. I don't have a big angel food cake pan yet, so I used my four mini pans. I made 2/3 of a recipe, knowing that the full recipe would be too much batter. Besides, it called for 12 eggs, and I just couldn't bring myself to using a whole dozen eggs for a cake. So, I used 8 eggs instead. [Four yolks were used for a batch of pudding. And four yolks were used for French toast, along with a few more whole eggs.] I couldn't tell that much of a difference between the last angel food cake I posted, and I'm kind of tired right now, so I'm not going to bother typing the Everyday Food version for you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment