Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

I first had these when I was visiting Utah after my grandmother passed away. I was staying with my sister-in-law, and one of her friends kindly brought over dinner for the family. I don't remember what she brought for dinner, but I have never forgotten the pumpkin bars. A couple of years later I still remembered the pumpkin bars and asked Amy to get me the recipe. They are so easy to make.

Janell's Pumpkin Bars (via Amy Mitchell)
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
4 eggs
1 small can of pumpkin
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups flour

Cream sugar and butter together. Add eggs and pumpkin. Mix. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Pour into greased rimmed cookie sheet pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. When cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract.

Cream butter and cream cheese in mixing bowl. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat well. Spread over cooled bars.

Janell's note: You'll be tempted to add milk when you mix it because the frosting is quite thick, but don't. Believe me, this frosting is so creamy and delicious that you'll love it just the way it is.

No comments: