Today's breakfast was Peachy French Toast, which required a little preparation the night before. I enjoy French toast recipes that require sitting overnight--they seem to have more flavor. I just don't often plan well enough in advance to set things up the night before, even though it is so easy. It doesn't look like the recipe makes very much, and I thought for sure we would finish all eight English muffin halves. But, either the boys didn't like it or it was quite filling--or both. They only finished one half each. I had three halves myself and was quite full. I only made about a fourth of the recipe for the peach topping, knowing the boys wouldn't touch it.
I liked the French toast better with the peach topping than I did with it plain, but I think I need to stick to the original recipe. I substituted orange marmalade in place of the apricot preserves (since that's what I had on hand), and didn't really like the flavor as well with the marmalade. I'm actually not a big fan of orange marmalade, but I feel too guilty wasting what's left by throwing it out. So, I keep trying to do things with it. I'm almost done with the jar, and hope not to see it in my fridge again. I also substituted the almond liqueur with almond extract. I put about a teaspoon into the egg mixture, but I think 1/2 teaspoon would have been fine. I also put a little extract into the peach topping. Now, on to the recipe.
Peachy French Toast
Source: Southern Living, February 1998
4 English muffins, split
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup almond liqueur, divided [I used 1 teaspoon almond extract]
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
dash of ground nutmeg
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
1 (16-ounce) can sliced peaches in heavy syrup, undrained
1 (10-ounce) jar apricot preserves
sifted powdered sugar
Arrange muffin halves in a single layer in a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish. [I just realized that I did not grease the pan. I don't think it's necessary.]
Whisk together eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons liqueur, and next 3 ingredients; pour over muffins. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet [I only used about 1 tablespoon butter.]; add half of muffins, and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from skillet and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining muffins and 2 tablespoons butter.
Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet; add peaches, and cook over low heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thoroughly heated. Stir in preserves and remaining 2 tablespoons liqueur; cook, stirring often, until hot and bubbly. Pour mixture over muffins, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Yield: 4 servings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment