Thursday, October 23, 2008

Grasshopper Pie

This was one of my family's favorite desserts. It was a required dessert for Christmas and often Thanksgiving. Brett has always loved it, so I made it this morning for his "birthday cake." It should be ready by this evening.

It is quite the indulgence: chocolate? check. fat? check. sugar? check. artificial coloring? check. lack of any fruit or vegetable? check. lack of whole wheat anything? check. lack of eggs or other protein (not even nuts)? check. I think even the small amount of calcium we might get from the cream is negated by everything else. Oh well. Don't think, just enjoy!

Grasshopper Pie
Source: Donna Mitchell

24 cream filled chocolate cookies (like Oreos), finely crushed
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/4 cup milk
a few drops green food coloring (I used about 6)
a few drops peppermint extract
1 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
2 cups heavy cream, whipped

Combine cookie crumbs and margarine. Press into 9-inch springform pan, reserving 1/2 cup mixture for topping. Gradually add milk, extract and food coloring to marshmallow creme, mixing until well blended. Fold in whipped cream, pour into pan. Sprinkle remaining cookie crumbs on top. Freeze.

Notes: I wanted to make it easier on myself today, since there is a lot I want to accomplish before Brett comes home. So, I just purchased two premade Oreo pie crusts. I have tried using one pie crust before, homemade or storebought. There is just too much filling to squeeze it all in. So, either use the recommended springform pan or two small pie crusts.

Brett likes a lot of mint in his pie. "A few drops" is not good enough for him. Today I put in about 3/4 teaspoon of mint extract. I probably should have put in a full teaspoon for Brett.

Also, make sure you take out the pie to start defrosting before you serve it. Otherwise, it will be rock hard. Not that Brett minds that. He eats the leftovers right out of the pan direct from the freezer. I prefer mine to sit out a little longer and soften up.

Today I chopped up some Keebler Grasshopper cookies (love those!) and sprinkled them on top of one of the pies. I hope Brett likes that extra little touch.

No comments: