I bought a round loaf of sourdough bread yesterday. I don't know why I don't buy it more often. It is always a treat for me. I have used it a few different ways since I got it last night, almost as a test to see how I liked it best. Here is what I have discovered.
I was not that crazy about the sourdough with my egg-in-a-frame this morning. I don't really know what my complaint about it is. I just wasn't crazy about the flavor combo. Or maybe it was just too different from my traditional sandwich bread egg-in-a-frame. I always like toasted sourdough bread with real butter. And my tuna salad sandwich with green leaf lettuce was quite tasty. But, by far, my favorite way to eat sourdough bread is broiled cheese toast.
The very first time I had sourdough bread, it was prepared this way. When I was fourteen I went to California and stayed with my grandparents for about a month. I often babysat for a friend of my grandmother's. This was what the mom occasionally suggested I fix for her toddler for lunch. At first, I found the flavor of the bread unusual, but I quickly came to like it. Since then, every time that I have bought a loaf of sourdough bread I have made at least one (or two or three or more) pieces of broiled cheese toast.
Here is how I make it. I cut about four slices of extra sharp cheddar cheese (no substitutes!), lay it on a slice of sourdough bread. Put the bread on a piece of foil or a baking sheet to catch the drips from the melting cheese. Place it under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is thoroughly melted. Then watch it carefully so that it doesn't burn. Let it cool just enough so it doesn't burn your mouth. Enjoy! I love the cheese; I love the crispy edges and soft chewy middle. I think I know what my after-dinner snack will be again tonight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment