I came across this recipe in a recent Southern Living magazine. This banana pudding was pictured on the cover, and it looked so good. You layer a trifle bowl with half your pudding, bananas and Nutter Butter cookies (broken into thirds), the rest of your pudding, and top it with sweetened whipped cream. I finally got around to making it yesterday.
The thickener for the vanilla pudding in this recipe is flour. Lately, I have been using the Everyday Food recipe for pudding, which uses corn starch as the thickener. I must say I prefer the Everyday Food pudding much better. The texture is much smoother. The Southern Living pudding was grainy in comparison. [For this reason, I'm not even going to include the recipe here.]
The recipe called for 5 bananas and a whole package of Nutter Butter cookies. Before making the trifle, I poured some of my pudding into Popsicle molds and froze them (an idea I saw in Everyday Food). So, I only used 2 bananas and about half a package. However, I still think 5 bananas and a whole package would have been a little much even if I had not taken out any pudding.
I liked the idea of this trifle. If I were in the mood for a peanut butter banana combination or if I wanted to make something unique to share, I might consider it. However, I think I will stick with my Everyday Food pudding recipe and just top it with whipped cream for home consumption. Sometimes, simple is better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment