Sunday, June 13, 2010

Lemon Meringue Pie Failure

I know I have made a successful lemon meringue pie in the last year, but I didn't post the recipe on my blog. I sure wish I had, because the recipe I ended up using this week was a total bust! The filling never thickened and there was more than enough to fill two pies. There had to be something off with the quantities in the ingredients, because I was careful about following the recipe. Even after reviewing the recipe a few times afterwards I could not figure out anything I might have done to mess it up. What a disappointment! I had been in the mood for a good lemon meringue pie.

To make matters worse, I messed up the meringue. I was beating the egg whites while cooking the filling. But since the filling didn't set up, I thought I would let it cool for a bit. My beaten egg whites ended up separating while I waited. I had to start the meringue over, and ended up overbeating them the second time around. Aaagh!

The good news is that the pie crust turned out great. I made a double crust recipe and used the first for a (fabulous) spinach and Swiss quiche. I think the pie crust is good enough to eat with the soupy lemon filling and less-than-perfect meringue. However, I am so disappointed that I will probably give it a few months before attempting a lemon meringue pie again.

No comments: