Friday, July 9, 2010

5-Minute Hummus

I finally got around to making my own hummus. I was a little frustrated the night that I made it. I had thought that I could use my cheap, mini food processor for this recipe. There wasn't enough room for the ingredients to mix and process very well, so I had to transfer everything to my full-size processor, doubling the number of dishes I had to clean up afterwards. Next time I will start with the right food processor. It worked so much better.

The tahini was a little tricky to work with. It separates when it sits on the shelf and needs to be stirred before using. But I'm glad that I invested in it. I like hummus well enough and this recipe was easy enough that I think I will make it fairly often.

I don't know if I was too frustrated the night I made it, but I didn't enjoy it as well as I expected to when I first sampled it. I tried it again the following morning and loved it. So, maybe the hummus tastes better after sitting in the fridge for a day, or maybe I just need to be in the right mood.

5-Minute Hummus
Source: Real Simple

1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste; optional)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika

In a food processor, puree the chickpeas and garlic with the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini (if using), cumin, and 3/4 teaspoon salt until smooth and creamy. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
Transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the paprika before serving.

1 comment:

Danielle Reich said...

I love tahini. I started out making hummus, and it became a slippery slope to putting it in everything - as a spread with honey on toast or crackers, substituted in my salad dressing mixes for olive oil (more protein & fiber!), drizzled on top of oatmeal...

So my tahini trick (such as it is), is to put it in the pantry upside down when I get home from the store. When I'm ready to use it, it's easier to stir (because the thick bits are no longer stuck in the crevasses at the bottom of the jar), then I refrigerate it after its stirred to avoid separation.

My roommate, on the other hand, just grinds his own sesame seeds.