Friday, July 16, 2010

Morning Orange Drink

This morning I served a sweet, refreshing beverage with our Blintz Pancakes and some fresh blueberries. The boys, especially Ryan, loved it. I quote: "I looooooove this morning orange drink!" I enjoyed it as well. However, a smaller serving would have satisfied me. This recipe says it makes up to 6 servings. We finished it off with just the three of us. Ryan kept wanting more and more. I would have been happy with half my serving. In fact, it was so sweet that drinking any more would have made me feel a little sick. So, the lesson for me to learn is to make a half batch next time.

Pay attention to the size of the can of orange juice concentrate. I typically buy the 12-ounce cans. This recipe calls for the 6-ounce cans. One of the reasons why I made the full batch was because I didn't want to have to use a quarter of a can of concentrate. I need to buy one of the small cans to keep in my freezer to make this again.

It has been years since I had an Orange Julius, but I think is a copycat recipe of a Julius. Tasty and sweet, perfect in small quantities.

Morning Orange Drink
Source: Best of Country Breakfast & Brunch

1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate
1 cup cold water
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 ice cubes

Combine the first five ingredients in a blender; process at high speed. Add ice cubes, a few at a time, blending until smooth. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.

[I just read a suggestion to try half granulated sugar and half powdered sugar for creamier results. I may try that next time.]

1 comment:

Danielle Reich said...

Oh, how I miss the Orange Julius at the Santa Rosa Mall... but I don't understand how we were able to get them with raw eggs in them to make them frothier. Of course, now I'm tempted to try that again with your recipe & some local free range eggs from the farmer's market...