I just realized that I haven't posted this recipe either. Brett's mom is German so Brett grew up on Knoedels. When I tried them for the first time, the only way I could explain them was "stuffing balls". Now that I have had knoedels many, many times, I realize that's not a great description. They are bread balls, but are not seasoned as heavily as stuffing and have a firm consistency when cooked properly.
There are other kinds of German dumplings. Brett's mom says that she prefers the potato dumplings, but these are the knoedels she always makes for her family because that is what her husband always liked better. So this is what my husband grew up with, and now it is what my own children are growing up with as well. It took me a few years, but I finally came to like knoedels. They are a traditional food when we have combined family dinners--all major holidays or just a nice Sunday dinner. For this family, big meat with gravy requires a side of knoedel, not the mashed potatoes that I always loved as a kid (and still do). Those big family dinners also require a side of red cabbage. It's been over fifteen years and I'm still not a fan of red cabbage. My boys are, of course.
Because knoedels are such an traditional food in Brett's family, it was necessary that I learn how to make them so they can continue to be passed on to the next generation.
Bavarian Knoedel (Dumplings)
Source: Brett's mom, Marianne
1 loaf of French bread (not fresh)
salt and pepper, to taste
4 large eggs
1 cup (or more) flour
1/2 (or more) cup milk
Slice and cube French bread (or old rolls). Make a heavy batter out of milk, flour, eggs. Season with salt and pepper.* Add more or less flour or milk to make make it the consistency of honey. Put your hands under running water and mix dough with the cubed bread. Form large balls (approximately tennis ball size), drop into boiling, salted water. Turn down heat and let the knoedels simmer gently for about 20 minutes. [Remove from water and let them "dry" for a few minutes before serving.] Serve with lots of gravy.
Leftover knoedels are delicious, sliced, fried in butter, and salted.
*You can also add caraway seeds and bacon bits to the mixture. [That may be traditional, but we have never made them that way. Plain and simple satisfies us.]
No big meat or gravy? Try knoedels with Sigrid's Mushroom Gravy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment