A number of years ago, a friend of mine made this pie. I loved it and asked for the recipe, but I don't remember ever making it. Then it joined all of the other recipes that I have collected but have never gotten around to making--until this week. I was supposed to bring a pie to a youth activity and stumbled across this recipe, and it sounded perfect.
Brett is not a fan of peppermint, which surprised me. He really likes my Grasshopper Pie, but wasn't as crazy about this one. I ,on the other hand, loved it. I didn't use too much mint, just enough to turn the whipped cream a light pink and a little minty taste.
I wanted to make the pie more from scratch, so I made my own pie graham cracker crusts, homemade pudding, and sweetened whipped cream. Of course, I waited until the last minute to make this. It turned out well, but it was even better the next day after it had cooled and set. The layers didn't mush together quite so much when you sliced it.
Leah Lund's Peppermint Pie
Source: Connie S.
2 large graham cracker crusts*
2 small boxes of instant chocolate pudding**
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 large container of Cool Whip***
several crushed candy canes (according to taste)****
Make up the pudding according to the directions on the box, beating it till it becomes thick. Add the cream cheese slowly in small amounts and beat till smooth. Divide the pudding mixture between your 2 crusts. Crush several candy canes (I do this in my food processor and get them just as small as I can, then I use about 3-4 tablespoons). Add the crushed candy canes to the Cool Whip and stir in well. You will want to use enough of the candy to turn the Cool Whip a pretty pink color. Let the Cool Whip stand, stirring occasionally until the candy is completely dissolved. Divide it evenly between the two pies. The trick is getting equal portions of chocolate and Cool Whip. Chill and enjoy!
*I used the crust from my mom's cheese cake recipe, which I can't believe I haven't added to the web site yet: 2 cups crushed graham crackers
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
Combine and press into pan. I baked the empty crust for about 5 minutes, just to make sure it set well.
**I made a batch of Chocolate Pudding from Everyday Food. I poured the hot pudding over the cream cheese and whisked until it smooth.
***I whipped about 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, sweetened with about 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar. I added the crushed peppermint candy during the whipping process.
****Walmart was already sold out of candy canes when I went looking for them, so I just grabbed the red peppermint starlight mints. They worked out just fine.
Saturday, January 10, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment