Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hawaiian Ham and Rice

This is an easy recipe, and is good for using up leftover ham. The leftover ham that we were using was pre-sliced (kind of thin). I think it would have been better with bigger chunks of ham, but since it was so easy and everybody liked it, I'm not complaining.

The taste of the sauce was fairly mild, and I'm sure you could get creative and dress it up a little more. However, I'm sick and just wanted to get something on the table quickly so I strictly followed the recipe.

Hawaiian Ham and Rice
Source: My sister Jen via The Family Cookbook

2 1/2 cups cubed, cooked ham
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup pineapple chunks [I used a can of tidbits]
1 1/2 cups steamed rice (about 1/2 cup uncooked rice)

Saute ham and green pepper in butter until ham is lightly browned. Mix together cornstarch and water; add pineapple juice, brown sugar, mustard and ginger. Pour cornstarch mixture over ham and green pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens (clear). Add pineapple chunks, heat. Serve over steamed rice.

No comments: