I have been wanting to try this recipe ever since I stumbled across it in another food blog in September. I knew that I would have to make it on a day when there was no school. And though it would have been perfect for me to share with my parents while they are here for Thanksgiving, I was afraid that things would be too crazy, and that I would miss my opportunity. So, I made it this morning while I had the chance. I thought it turned out quite well.
I did serve the pancakes with the lemon curd and sour cream. Both the boys ate theirs with lemon curd, and Ryan even ate his with the sour cream. I love that my boys are so good about trying new foods, many of which are unusual to the typical preschooler. I was really nervous about the sour cream. I thought it would taste strange, but I was pleasantly surprised. The dollop of sour cream was a nice blend with the tart lemon curd.
This is another fancy-schmancy recipe that I think is best served on its own for an impressive breakfast. Its sophisticated taste would be lost if surrounded by the super-rich, super-sweet foods at our potluck MOPS breakfasts.
The ricotta pancakes (and the cottage cheese pancakes) that I often make have a unique texture. There is very little flour, so they are not at all like a regular pancake. This recipe has much more flour and less ricotta, so they do have the consistency of a regular pancake.
I hate to see half a lemon go to waste. I doubled the lemon curd recipe, as suggested. I used the zest from one lemon and the juice from two lemons for the curd. I used the zest from the second lemon for the pancakes. I didn't miss the extra zest in the curd, and I wasn't left with a zest-less lemon.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Lemon Curd
Source: Cafe Johnsonia Blog
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1-2 teaspoons sugar [I added a little more]
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk [I added a little less, though the batter thickened after it set for a few minutes]
1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
zest of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside. In another bowl whisk the ricotta, eggs, and lemon zest until creamy. Slowly add the milk. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir, leaving the batter lumpy. Gently fold in the melted butter. (Don't overmix or your pancakes will be rubbery!)
Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle to about 400 degrees F, brush with canola oil or butter. Ladle about 1/3-1/2 cup of the batter onto the griddle. When the pancakes have started to bubble and set around the edges, flip them over with a large spatula. Cook the pancakes for another minute or two, until the center is set and they are cooked throughout.
Serve with warm lemon curd and creme fraiche or sour cream (Creme fraiche is the best choice!)
Lemon Curd (make a double batch)
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
dash salt
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. In a separate bowl, grate lemon peel and squeeze juice from lemon. Add sugar and egg. Whisk to combine. Add the melted butter to bowl, and pour everything back into the pan. Over medium heat, whisk the lemon curd constantly until it thickens--sort of like a thin pudding--about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Strain lemon curd over a clean bowl with a fine mesh strainer. (I find this removes the white things from the whole eggs as well as the zest. I prefer a smooth lemon curd. But, if you would rather skip this step, it's totally okay.) Enjoy warm or cold!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment