I mentioned these pancakes in an earlier post about the Blueberry Cheese Pancakes. I promised to share the recipe, and here it is. I was a little surprised by how well I liked these pancakes when I first made them. Now, I almost always have a container of ricotta cheese and an orange in my fridge so I can make them whenever the mood strikes. Brett doesn't care for them (but he doesn't care for breakfast food in general), but I served them to a 5-year-old, two 3-year-olds, and one 1-year-old. We ate every last pancake. That's telling you something!
The texture may be a little unusual, slightly grainy, especially if you are expecting a "regular pancake." But give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised like I was.
Orange Ricotta Pancakes
Source: Everyday Food
1 3/4 cups (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons grated orange zest (from 1 orange)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
3 tablespoons canola oil
confectioners' sugar, for serving
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta, granulated sugar, eggs, and orange zest. Whisk in flour just until combined.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-low. Working in batches (and adding more oil to skillet if necessary), add batter, using a scant 1/4 cup for each pancake (you'll have 12 pancakes). Cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer pancakes to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Serve hot, dusted with confectioners' sugar.
I usually make a half recipe when serving myself and the boys. It is just enough, although sometimes we want a little more. I made a full recipe today when sharing with two more toddlers, and we still could have had a little more.
When cooking the pancakes I usually brush the pan with butter rather than oil. You may also have to shape the pancakes a little, smooshing them down so they cook more evenly. Pay attention to the directions regarding "medium-low" heat. I find it's better to cook the pancakes slowly so they get cooked all the way through.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love these pancakes. They are one of my very best favorites. I've tried them with lemon zest when I haven't had an orange and they are good like that, too. Although I must confess despite my lack of zeal for orange flavored foods, I prefer the orange zest to lemon and I LOVE LEMON!
yummy!
Boy, was I confused when I first saw this comment. Is this MY mommy?? No! After reading it more thoroughly I could identify which of my three readers posted it, but it took me a minute.
(I'm glad that your children seem to like it as well as you do!) :)
Post a Comment