Friday, June 6, 2008

Blueberry Cheese Pancakes

We made these cottage cheese pancakes earlier this week, and they were a big hit. I only made half the recipe, but we ate every last bit of it. I had made these pancakes before, but found the cottage cheese a little lumpy. Anne suggested blending the cottage cheese before mixing it in. I tried that this time, using my mini food processor. The cottage cheese ended up looking like ricotta cheese, and the texture was perfect. I do have a pancake recipe that I enjoy making which uses ricotta cheese. (I'll include it in a post the next time I make them.) Both of these pancake recipes make pancakes that are delicious, and I love that my boys are getting more calcium and eggs and less white flour than they would in regular pancakes. Though this recipe suggested serving the pancakes with maple syrup, we just dusted them with powdered sugar. The boys are not so fond of cooked blueberries, so I made their pancakes plain then added blueberries to the batter for mine. I do not like plain cottage cheese (or cottage cheese with fruit, etc), but I have found that I enjoy using it in these pancakes as well as in my recipe for quiche (which I'll post some other time)--Don't be scared off by this ingredient, even if you're not a fan of cottage cheese!

Blueberry Cheese Pancakes
Source: http://www.meals.com/
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
4 eggs
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup blueberries

Combine cottage cheese, eggs, flour, sugar and butter in a bowl; mix well. Stir in vanilla; add the blueberries. Cook batter on a hot greased griddle until light brown on both sides, turning once. Serve with butter and maple syrup.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Those sound dericious! (Yes, the r in there is intentional.)

I'll have to try those sometime.

beccatemecula said...

They were dericious! I've also posted the recipe for the orange ricotta pancakes now. Let me know if you make them (either one) and how you liked them.