Tuesday, June 10, 2008

How Do You Like Your Eggs?

I don't know how I survived my college years without going through a dozen eggs a week. I rarely even thought about preparing eggs as a quick and easy, filling, and cheap meal. If only I knew then what I know now! Even when I was first married I didn't keep eggs in the fridge, because I didn't go through them fast enough. Brett said he wasn't a big fan of eggs, so I never made them. I still wanted to have some eggs on hand for the baking that I did occasionally, so I bought small containers of "fake eggs"--you know, Egg Beaters (Egg Beaters?!?!). After two years of that nonsense I finally decided to buy a dozen eggs for myself, regardless of whether Brett was going to help me eat them. Nowadays, I feel like I'm almost out of eggs when I have less than half a dozen left. I currently have a full two dozen in the fridge.

So what did I have for breakfast this morning? You guessed it! Eggs! I prepared them one of my favorite ways for breakfast, as Eggs-in-a-Frame. I remember having these relatively often at home. I think about that every time I make them. I've also heard them called Eggs-in-a-Basket, Eggs-in-a-Nest, Eggs-in-a-Hat. Just cut out a circle in the center of a piece of bread or use a cookie cutter to cut out a "fun" shape (I did hearts today), butter up the bread, put it in a heated frying pan, crack an egg into the hole, add some salt and pepper, cook, flip, cook some more, put it on a plate, and gobble it up. Don't forget to pan-toast the bread center to dip into your runny egg yolk. Todd's was gone in seconds; Ryan said he didn't like it, but still managed to eat it all. I think he was just whining because it's not his favorite way to eat eggs.

Ryan's favorite way to eat eggs is Deviled. (I prepared those yesterday.) Ryan discovered his love for deviled eggs quite a few months ago. His favorite part about deviled eggs is the paprika. Todd asked me to make his deviled egg without the mayo. . . then it's not really deviled, is it? After hearing Ryan go on about his love for paprika, Todd finally decided to venture out and try his boiled egg with salt, pepper, and paprika. He said he liked it. My favorite way to eat deviled eggs? Immediately. Meaning, eat them while they're still fresh and warm--not made ahead of time and refrigerated.

No comments: