Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Orange French Toast

I remember having this recipe a few times and enjoying it. But when I made if for breakfast yesterday I didn't seem to love it as much as I thought. I think I'll have to try it again one more time to decide what I really think of it. I may have just put too much orange extract in it. It calls for orange liqueur; I put in a 1/2 teaspoon of extract, but I think I will omit that completely next time. I halved the recipe, which made about 10 small pieces.

Orange French Toast
Source: http://www.mrbreakfast.com/

8 eggs
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tbsp orange liqueur [I omit this]
1 tsp vanilla
1 loaf Italian bread-cut into 1/2" slices
3 tbsp confectioner's sugar
3 tbsp brown sugar
4 tsp butter or margarine

Beat together eggs, orange juice, liqueur, 2 tbsp powdered sugar [which I just realized I omitted!] and vanilla. Place bread slices in one layer in a large roasting or baking pan. [I put the slices in a large Ziploc bag.] Pour egg mixture over slices. Turn to soak. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, turn bread slices occasionally.

On a plate, combine remaining confectioner's sugar and brown sugar. Preheat electric skillet to 375 degrees F. Melt butter and set aside. Remove bread slices from egg mixture. Place in skillet. Cook French toast about 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Add more butter to skillet, if necessary. Toss slices in sugar mixture and serve immediately.

No comments: