Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Banana Pancakes

This is the recipe that started it all - my transition from Hungry Jack to making pancakes from scratch (for the most part) and ultimately my obsession with making real breakfasts more often than not.

This is another pancake recipe where I find it better to err on the side of a low heat setting rather than risk burning the pancakes without cooking them all the way through. I almost always use half white flour and half whole wheat flour. If you use sweet, ripe bananas you won't notice the difference. Although I have never tried the Honey Pecan Butter that was included in the recipe I'm posting it here anyway. It sounds like it might be good.

Banana Pancakes
Source: The Northwest Florida Daily News

1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 medium mashed ripe bananas
3 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Honey Pecan Butter (recipe follows)

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
In a small bowl, whisk egg, milk, bananas, oil and lemon juice. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto hot, greased griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until second side is golden. Serve with prepared butter and syrup.

Honey Pecan Butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted

No comments: