It took me a little while to appreciate black beans (like over a quarter of a century), but I enjoy them in so many foods now, including my Tex-Mex chicken and this salsa. I enjoy this salsa both when I leave out a few ingredients and when it is jazzed up. I find that when it is simple (no cilantro, jalapeno, or any other add-ins) that it can be a little bland, but I still love to eat it on chips. When you are fixing it to share, it's best to use all the ingredients.
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
Source: Hellmann's mayonnaise (Best Foods for all those Westerners)
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (19 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (11 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup quartered gape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)
In a medium bowl, blend mayonnaise, lime juice and cumin. Stir in remaining ingredients. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
[Anne has played with this recipe and has found that it is very good with extra cumin, added garlic, and chopped avocado. I think she has also added another can of black beans when she wanted to make a big batch for a crowd. I would use your best judgement when it comes to adding the avocado. It really adds to the taste, and if you think you are going to eat a lot of the salsa the first day, do it. However, if you are making it for yourself and expect to be eating the salsa over a few days, don't do it. The avocado starts to turn brown and looks unappetizing-even if it still tastes fine. Or, you could take out a small portion of the salsa and just add the avocado to that.]
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment