Thursday, August 7, 2008

Peanut Butter Granola Balls

This is a snack that I have made a number of times now for my boys. It is so easy and yummy. They can get very gooey, so be sure to follow the instructions and keep them in the refrigerator. I usually end up adding more like 1/2 cup dried fruit (usually raisins or a combination of raisins and cranberries). I bought a big box of crisp rice cereal with the intention of making this snack some time ago. We almost finished the cereal this morning before I realized that I wouldn't have enough to make the granola balls. So, before anyone ate more (generic) Rice Krispies I had to make this snack today, much to the boys' delight.

Peanut Butter Granola Balls
Source: Everyday Food

1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup natural peanut butter [I just use what I have on hand - crunchy reduced fat Jif today]
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup crisp rice cereal
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1/4 cup dried fruit (such as cherries, raisins, or cranberries)

1. In a small saucepan over medium, heat honey, peanut butter, and butter. Stir until loosened and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cereal, oats, and dried fruit.
2. Drop mixture by the tablespoon into mini paper cupcake or candy liners. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. To store, refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week. Makes 24.
[I like to smash the balls a little bit before I put them in the fridge to chill.]

No comments: