I got this recipe from a former coworker of mine (about 5 1/2 years ago). His grandmother made and sent these to him, and he was kind enough to share both the cookies and the recipe. It uses maraschino cherries, which I almost never have in my fridge. For some reason I had purchased some cherries for a recipe some time ago, and I have been anxious to use up the rest of the jar. This recipe came to mind. They were much easier to make than I had expected, and quite tasty. My coworker gave us some advice on how to eat these. Don't take small bites, just put the whole cookie in your mouth. I think I've found my cookie for our Christmas Cookie Exchange!
Grandma Greewald's Cherry Balls
Source: Alan Walsh
1 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups finely ground walnuts
1 jar maraschino cherries (drained)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream margarine and sugar. Add salt, vanilla, flour, and walnuts. Wrap tiny portion of mixture around cherry and make tiny balls. Roll in hand like meatballs. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. When cool, roll in powdered sugar.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
WHEN did you do the cookie blog?
You are so smart! I love you! You're the best!
I did it today when I should have been working on the rental house, which, if I finished early, would have allowed me enough time to go to the water park this afternoon. Instead, I have nothing to show for my day except the beginnings of yet another blog!
Post a Comment