I had part of a two-day-old baguette that I wanted to use up for something like yummy like baked French toast. However, I knew that I wouldn't have enough time to bake something before Todd went off to school, so I tried this recipe again. It was really yummy today. I think the advice they give to use bread that is a little hardened is good. I have tried this recipe before with fresh bread, and I do think it can get a little too soggy. The results today were more of a crisp chewy. I topped mine with pure maple syrup (of course), but Todd gobbled down four small pieces plain.
I had less than half a baguette, so I only ended up with about 12 small slices. I still used a full recipe of the egg mixture, so my pieces all got thoroughly soaked (which is a good thing in my opinion-they were full of flavor).
French Toast Waffles
Source: Cooking Light
A waffle iron creates a crisp, brown French toast. Just make sure you start with slightly hardened bread so that the toast won't be soggy. Serve toast with fresh berries, powdered sugar, or maple syrup.
cooking spray
1 cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
16 (1/2-inch thick) slices day-old French bread (about 7 ounces)
1. Coat waffle iron with cookie spray [I brushed on real butter...] and preheat.
2. Combine milk and next 5 ingredients, stir well with a whisk. Place bread in a 13x9-inch baking dish; pour milk mixture over bread, turning to coat. Let stand 5 minutes.
3. Place 4 bread slices on hot waffle iron. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until done; repeat procedure with remaining bread.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment