We like fajitas in our family, especially Brett. I usually make steak fajitas, because I find that trimming the fat and cutting the meat is easier with steak than with chicken. However, this recipe makes it easy by just broiling the chicken, then slicing it after it's cooked through. I made a chicken pot pie for dinner last night, and in preparation for that meal I had trimmed the fat off a fairly large package of chicken breasts. I only needed half the package, so I cut the last three chicken breasts into about 3 smaller pieces each and put them into a ziplock bag to save for tonight. So, when it came time to prepare tonight's meat, all I had to do was dump it out on the cookie sheet! So nice! The other bonus is that I didn't overcook the meat at all (a common mistake of mine...). It was more tender and juicy than if I had pan-fried the chicken slices.
Fast Chicken Fajitas
Source: Everyday Food
1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets (about 8)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
1 teaspoon chili powder
coarse salt and ground pepper
3 bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
8 flour tortillas (6-inch)
fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
1/2 cup reduced -fat sour cream, for serving
lime wedges, for serving
1. Heat broiler with rack set 4 inches from heat. Arrange chicken on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; rub with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with chili powder, and season with salt and pepper. Broil, without turning, until chicken is opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside.
2. On another rimmed baking sheet lined with foil, toss peppers, onion, garlic, and remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Broil, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender and slightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, thinly slice chicken crosswise. Stack and wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel; microwave on high until warm, about 1 minute. Transfer chicken and pepper mixture to a platter, and serve with tortillas, cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges.
[Of course, I had to make it more difficult on myself by serving our fajitas with grated cheddar (a must!), chopped tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream. Though I had limes and cilantro (amazing!), by the time dinner was ready I hadn't touched them, so they got left out.]
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment