Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Greek-Style Pork

This is a fairly easy meal that I have made for our family a number of times. As I have mentioned, we like sauce dinners served over rice or noodles. This one has a different taste to it because of the cinnamon in the sauce.

Brett does not like raisins very well, especially in a savory dish like this. However, I like the bits of sweet surprise that the raisins offer. The flavors of the raisins and cinnamon complement each other well. I have a large frying pan and usually end up trying to add the raisins to only a third of the pan and try to keep the raisins on their side of the pan when I stir it. Neither Brett nor I is willing to back down from our Pro/Con stance, so even though it is a pain this is the best option I have come up with. Don't try adding the raisins at the last minute. They need the simmering time to soften and plump up.

Greek-Style Pork
Source: Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

1 pound boneless pork sirloin
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 of a medium onion, cut into wedges
1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
hot cooked rice

1. Trim fat from meat. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. In a large skillet brown half of the pork cubes in hot oil. Remove from skillet. Brown remaining pork and onion in skillet. Drain off fat. Return all meat and onion to skillet.
2. Stir in undrained tomatoes, raisins, oregano, and cinnamon. Bring to boiling . Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or till meat is tender. If desired, serve atop hot cooked rice. Serves 4.

No comments: