Thursday, September 25, 2008

Japanese Ham and Rice With Cabbage

This was one of my family's stand-by recipes growing up. We had it fairly often and I always enjoyed it. I was hesitant to make it for Brett for a long time, thinking that he wouldn't go for the cabbage. I was wrong. He has liked it from the start, and it is kind of a comfort food in our family. I am not going to look back at my mom's original recipe. I'll just write down how I usually end up making it, which is only slightly different. One great about this is that it is easy to throw in whatever extra vegetables you have on hand.

Japanese Ham and Rice With Cabbage (or Cabbage Rice, as we always refer to it)
Source: Mom

1-2 tablespoons oil
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 head of cabbage, cored and finely shredded
1 cup ham, finely chopped
green onions, finely chopped
1 cup cooked rice, or more to taste [I usually end up making about 1 1/2 cups raw rice to 3 cups of water. We like to make a big pot of this dish and have leftovers.]

Over medium, heat 1/2 tablespoon in a large saucepan. Add carrots and pepper; cook until crisp-tender. Remove from pan and set aside. Add another 1/2 tablespoon to pan and scramble-cook eggs until dry but not browned. Remove from heat and set aside with carrots and pepper. Heat 1/2 tablespoon in pan and add cabbage; cook until tender. Return carrots, pepper, and eggs to pan. Stir in ham, green onions, and cooked rice; cook until heated through. Serve with soy sauce or prepared teriyaki sauce, to taste.

No comments: